Who is my Advisor?

Students pursuing Occupational Safety and Health Management, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Information Technology, Information Systems or an Engineering major, may declare their major in Banner. Students who declare their major will be assigned a professional advisor in the PCEC Advising Center. Students do not have to meet with their assigned professional advisor, advising appointments can be scheduled with any PCEC advisor based on availability.  Upon fulfillment of the required secondary admission criteria, students will be granted major standing and assigned a faculty advisor.


Determining Your Assigned Advisor
Once you have declared your major, you will be assigned an academic advisor. Follow the steps below to find your advisor:

1. Log into MyBanner
2. Select the "Student" tab at the top of the page.
3. Select "Registration."
4. View "Major & Advisor Information."
View Advisor contact information


How are Professional Advisors and Faculty Advisors Different?

Faculty advisors are experts in your major field of study and possess an unparalleled knowledge of course content and career possibilities within your field. They are able to provide insight and mentoring as it pertains to graduate programs and future employment. As professors, they also understand the aptitude and determination required to successfully complete the academic requirements of the major. Finally, faculty advisors are well connected locally, regionally, and across the United States.

Professional advisors help provide a broad perspective of the undergraduate experience and assist in navigating academic policies and procedures. In particular, professional advisors provide assistance in the following areas:

  • Understanding requirements for secondary admission
  • Course registration and scheduling
  • Major requirements
  • Discussion of potential minors or a second major
  • Integrating Study Abroad into your academic plan
  • Scholarship opportunities
  • General Education requirements
  • Transfer courses from another institution (in particular, for students who take courses elsewhere over the summer)
  • Appropriate referrals to University Resources


Page last modified January 24, 2023