Grand Valley State University Mathematics Department is honored to host the 2022 Annual Meeting of the Michigan Section of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) and the Michigan Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges (MichMATYC). The meeting will take place Friday-Saturday, April 8-9.
Friday Special Session
Title: AMiIBL “Share and Mingle” (90 minute interactive session) [Friday at 3:30PM]
Abstract: AMiIBL (Alliance for Michigan IBLers) is a community of college math instructors around the state using student-centered, interactive, inclusive, inquiry-oriented teaching methods in their classrooms. In this session, members of AMiIBL will present “lightning” talks (~3 - 7 minutes) on their teaching over the past year. Talks may focus on particular challenges or successes, new ideas they tried, facilitating active learning online, etc. In addition to (approximately) 6-8 planned talks, there will be some “open mic” time for audience members to improvise their own 2-3 minute lightning talk. Time permitting, the session will end with open discussion time in small groups.
Those interested in reserving a slot to speak ahead of time can complete this Google form.
We will have a workshop on alternative assessment methods titled Grading for Growth and facilitated by David Clark (Grand Valley State University). The workshop is planned for Friday, April 8th from 3:30-5:00pm.
Please register for the workshop. Registration is free, but space is limited so please register soon!
- Alicia Prieto Langarica (Youngstown State University and Associate Director of Project NExT)
- Jose Perea (Northeastern University)
- David Austin (Grand Valley State University)
- Stacy DeRuiter (Calvin University)
- Julie Gunkelman (Oakland Community College, MichMATYC President)
- Victor Piercey (Ferris State University)
- Robert Kipka, Lake Superior State University
- Jonathan Oaks, Macomb Community College
- Norma Ortiz-Robinson, Grand Valley State University, Program Committee Chair
- Amy Shell-Gellasch, Eastern Michigan University, MAA Michigan Section Chair
Local Arrangements Committee
- Matt Boelkins
- William Dickinson
- Firas Hindeleh
- Lauren Keough
- Akalu Tefera