LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development Partnerships at Grand Valley provides continuing education for educators throughout Michigan. We can:
- Create partnerships with schools and agencies
- Award university credit for training workshops
- Provide State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) for professional development workshops
Some of the services provided include helping you:
- Earn Grand Valley graduate academic credit for workshops and seminars you are already taking through your district or local agency
- Learn more about graduate degree programs at Grand Valley. Go to the College of Education's Graduate Degree Programs website for more information
- Earn SCECHs
- Take academic and/or SCECHs courses in our Hot Topics for Educators series specifically designed to bring current topics in education to the classroom
- Answer, or provide a referral, questions about teacher certification in Michigan
Contact the Professional Development Partnerships office for more information at (616) 331-7180.
State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs)
We assist teachers, administrators, school psychologists and school counselors in meeting their professional development needs. The GVSU processing fee for SCECHs is $10/participant. We offer the following services:
- State approval of SCECH hours
- sign-in/out systems for participants
- registration processes
- upload eligible participants to the Michigan Online Educator Certificate System (MOECS)
- maintain course records for MDOE audit
For a list of courses offered for SCECHs, go to the Michigan Online Educator Certification System website, click on SCECH catalog, select Grand Valley State University as sponsor and search.
The Michigan Department of Education has authorized an academic credit conversion. If a course is being offered for academic credit it can be converted to SCECHs using the following chart:
- 1 academic credit = 25 SCECHs
- 2 academic credit = 50 SCECHs
- 3 academic credit = 75 SCECHs
Hot Topics for Educators offered an online class, Mastering Distance Learning: Survival to Thriving Online, in June and August 2020 for academic credit or SCECHs to help educators master distance learning. With the pandemic closing our schools and turning to online learning, the class helped educators teach more effectively.
Check the Hot Topics for Educators website in next summer 2021 for additional courses in a variety of current topics.