Alpha Sigma Lambda
Alpha Sigma Lambda Honorary Society
Alpha Sigma Lambda is the nation's largest and oldest chapter-based honor society for nontraditional students. The Society was founded in 1945 and today has more than 300 institutional chapters. The Grand Valley State University Chapter is the Sigma Lambda Sigma Chapter and we are proud to recognize the special achievements of adults who accomplish academic excellence while facing competing interests of home and work. We are dedicated to recognizing students high achievement and inspiring candidates to continue towards their degrees. Candidates are selected in the spring and there is an honors recognition event takes place to recognize honor society inductees.
To be eligible for membership, a student must:
- Be currently enrolled as a student seeking your first bachelors degree
- Be in the highest 10 percent of students based on GPA
- Have Sophomore, Junior, or Senior standing
- Have completed a minimum of 24 credits at GVSU
Membership is by invitation only. If you have received an invitation to the 2019 induction
Q: Is there any cost to me?
A: Invited students are required to pay a one time fee of $30 to become a member. Once a member, you have a free lifetime membership.
Q: Why should I join ASL?
A: ASL is the only national honor society that is dedicated to non-traditional, part-time, adult learners. It is GVSU's way of recognizing extraordinary achievements of this student population. It is also something for you to be proud of and adds your resume. Here are just some of the benefits:
- Access to annual scholarship opportunities through Alpha Sigma Lambda
- Receive a membership Certificate suitable for framing and cords that can be worn at graduation
- Build pride through recognition for achieving high scholastic honors
- A forum for the exchange of ideas on activities and programs for adult students
Q: Is there anything I need to do once I'm inducted?
A: There is nothing that the student needs to do. There are a few chapters that have officers and hold meetings, we currently do not, however GVSU is interested in expanding the Sigma Lambda Sigma Chapter and if you are interested in being an officer, please contact the Center for Adult and Continuing Studies (see information below).
Q: Can I get more information on ASL?
A: You can go to the ASL website at alphasigmalambda.org
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact the Sigma Lambda Sigma Councilor - Kate VanDerKolk at 616-331-7180 or email@example.com