As Grand Valley continues to monitor and respond to the campus impact of COVID-19, teams are in place to provide guidance to the senior leadership team.
Leading this effort is the Virus Action Team, which is administering, or overseeing the administration, of a variety of plans for the GVSU community.
Members of the Virus Action Team include:
- Greg Sanial is the Vice President of Finance and Administration and Director of the Virus Action Team. He is responsible for budgets and financial reporting, procurement, payroll, student accounts, human resources, facilities services and planning, public safety, and auxiliary operations. He also served for 30 years in the U.S. Coast Guard where he had experience in operations and crisis management, including extensive experience leading complex emergency responses to hurricanes, oil spills, and multiple other multi-agency operations.
- Lisa Haynes is the Associate Vice President for Facilities Services Grand Rapids and Regional Centers. She has has been with GVSU since 1999. She has been an integral part of project management at GVSU.
- Doug Graham is a Professor in the Biomedical Sciences department. Prior to joining GVSU in 2003, Graham was a post-doctoral fellow in the Centers for Disease Control's Division of Parasitic Diseases. His research background is in parasitology, virology and epidemiology.
- Ben Holder is an Associate Professor of Physics and has been at GVSU since 2013. His research concerns the mathematical modeling of virus infections.
- Dave Huizen is the unit head for the Occupational Safety and Health department. Before joining GVSU 11 years ago, Dave spent 28 years working for various companies as a Certified Industrial Hygienist protecting workers from health hazards in the workplace.
- Jean Nagelkerk is the Vice Provost for Health.
- Tina Barnikow is the Senior Director of Health.
- Ed Aboufadel is an Associate Vice President in the Provost’s Office and a Professor of Mathematics. In the Provost’s office, his primary responsibilities revolve around faculty matters, facilities and policy.
- Lynn (Chick) Blue currently serves as Special Advisor to the President and has been with the University since 1968. Previous roles include Registrar, Vice Provost and Vice President.
- Nykia Gaines is the Director of TRIO Student Support Services STEM-Health Sciences. She was hired in 2001 and has worked in Housing and Residence Life and served as a Senior Academic Advisor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Kate Harmon is the Director of Recreation and Student Wellness Initiatives, and has been at GVSU since 2002. Normally, Kate leads the department of Recreation and Wellness as well as the Campus Health Center agreement with Metro Health
- Bob Smart is the Vice Provost for Research Administration and Executive Director of the Center for Scholarly and Creative Excellence. Smart is the founding executive director for the Center for Scholarly and Creative Excellence (CSCE) and a professor of chemistry at Grand Valley.
- Dr. Habiba Hassouna is an infectious disease doctor at Spectrum Health.
- Dottie Barnes, Associate Director of News, University Communications
The Virus Action Team take over the work of the Incident Management Team, which was first activated in early 2020 and operated through August. Members of the Incident Management Team include: Tim Thimmesch, Lisa Haynes, Loren Rullman, Andy Beachnau, Mary Eilleen Lyon, and Brandon DeHaan.