Job Opportunities for GVSU Nursing Majors.
Patient Care Assistant (PCA)
For Bronson Healthcare System, a nursing student PCA candidate must have completed the Fundamentals of Nursing course, have completed a medical/surgical clinical rotation, and be a student nurse in good standing. Positions are open year-round and candidates typically start during Winter or Summer Breaks due to orientation requirements of working the first week of orientation 8AM to 4PM. Apply end of October for start date during Christmas Break and apply after early March to end of July for start dates over Summer Break.
Please apply online at Bronson employment page
GVSU Scribe Academy
The GVSU Scribe Academy's program is designed to train individuals to assist healthcare providers in local Emergency Departments (ED) by documenting patient care in the electronic medical record. Students enrolled in the program are trained in the classroom, online, and in the ED. Students that successfully complete the program will be hired as hourly employees of Emergency Care Specialists.
Emergency Department (ED) Scribes work one-on-one with ED healthcare providers by documenting patient care in real-time, at the bedside, through the use of the electronic medical record. Working in the ED can be exciting, fast paced, and extremely educational. Scribes interested in pursuing a career in a healthcare profession can gain a competitive edge and set themselves apart from their peers. Whether a common cold or life threatening trauma, scribes gain valuable medical knowledge and exposure to the decision making process of emergency medicine.
Details and application are on the Scribe Academy website
- Homewatch Caregivers provides patients living at home with care that they may need. They hire Care Givers who work 15 hours/week on a flexible schedule. Care Givers provide patients with basic needs, which may include bathing, dressing, light housekeeping, or other things the patient requests. When hiring Care Givers, Homewatch does consider volunteer experience and would prefer applicants to have some care-giving background and experience with the elderly.
- Care Givers complete 15 online training courses during their first 60-90 days of employment before going into homes.
500 Cascade West Parkway
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
HealthCorps - Cherry Street Health Services
- Cherry Health participates in the Community HealthCorps program, a health-focused, national AmeriCorps program that promotes healthcare for America’s underserved, while developing tomorrow’s healthcare workforce. With over 30 members, Cherry Health has the largest Community HealthCorps service team in the country and it is an integral part of healthcare delivery at Cherry Health.
- Community HealthCorps incorporates an extensive training program that explores community health issues, the national service movement, professional development, and Prescriptions for Success, a comprehensive curriculum that covers topics including serving in a diverse health care environment, cultural competency, the primary care environment, patient relations, and case management.
- Members receive a living allowance, child care assistance (if eligible), health insurance, student loan forbearance and an education award of $5,645 upon successfully completion of the program.
- It entails a 1-year commitment, 35 hours/week. This is another great gap year activity for those looking for health care experience with underserved populations.
100 Cherry St. SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
The Student Employment Office (SEO) works with all University departments and the community to create part-time and summer employment opportunities for students. All on-campus and even off-campus jobs are posted in the Lake Jobs online database.
The Grand Valley State University Student Employment Office and Career Center maintain the LakerJobs web site as a service to GVSU students. The presence of job announcements on LakerJobs does not indicate an endorsement or recommendation from GVSU. It is the students' responsibility to perform their own due diligence when applying for or accepting private off-campus employment.
Mary Free Bed
- Mary Free Bed has paid entry-level jobs for CNAs, Rehabilitation Techs, and patient escorts.
- Nurse Tech positions do not require prior certification.
Mercy Health Saint Mary's Hospital
Patient Care Assistant
Delivers patient care and provides support for unit activities under the clinical direction of a Registered Nurse.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification.
- 6 months experience as a Patient Care Assistant or Nurse Technician in an acute care setting or; completion of 2 clinical semesters in nursing school.
- Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) certification preferred.
- One year of experience in an acute/ambulatory environment preferred.
Details and application is on the Mercy Health website
Nurse Aide, under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN) provide basic nursing care to patients and performs related tasks necessary to the functioning of the unit.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent required.
- Must have one of the following:
- Current Michigan CNA certification
- Current enrollment (and continued progression) in a RN program in which a nursing fundamentals course and at least one clinical rotation have been completed.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS/CPR) provider—required.
- Experience in acute care or extended care facility preferred.
Porter Hills Retirement Communities
- Porter Hills offers paid positions that are more hands-on, such as Resident Assistants (which require no prior certification) or CNAs. For more information, visit http://www.porterhills.org/jobs/
- To be competitive for positions at Porter Hills, it’s helpful to have experience in geriatrics (i.e. caring for a sick relative), ability to work on your feet, and good computer skills.
Volunteer Services Office
4450 Cascade Rd. SE, Suite 200
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
616.954.1799 ext. 20417
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
This paraprofessional nursing work involves the direct care and treatment of patients. Work includes responsibility for noting and reporting unusual symptoms in the condition of patients. Work is subject to professional review of Licensed Nurses.
- Education - High School Diploma or GED
- Experience - 6 months of experience in health care experience for NRS Home Care
- Licenses - Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Drivers License – MI (MI DR LIC)for NRS - Home Care entity only
- Experience - 6 months of experience
Acts as a team member in the delivery of quality patient care under the supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN). Performs basic skills per hospital/unit guidelines and communicates observations to members of the health care team.
- Education - High School Diploma or GED or equivalent
- Licenses - Basic Life Support (BLS) within 90 days of hire
- Education - 1 year college education including clinical experience
- Experience - 6 months of experience in recent, relevant patient care experience
- Licenses - Nurse Assistant, Certified (CNA)