Peer-to-Peer File Sharing
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) of 2008 requires universities, like Grand Valley State, to comply with the following requirements for Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing:
- Provide an Annual Disclosure to students describing copyright law and campus policies related to violating copyright law.
- GVSU provides an annual disclosure via electronic mail to all GVSU student email accounts. See File Sharing Memo
- Provide a plan to ‘effectively combat the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted materials’ by users of the GVSU network.
- GVSU procedure consists of accepting and responding to Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) notices. See Electronic Media Intellectual Property Rights Policy
- Provide a plan to ‘offer alternatives to illegal downloading’.
- See File Sharing Memo
- Reference Educause sources at https://www.educause.edu/library/resources/panel-peer-peer-file-sharing-looking-win-win-solution