GVSU Access Point, Router, and Switch Policy
In order to assure the highest level of service to the users of GVSU Wireless, Information Technology needs help from all members of the campus community in minimizing the potential interference from those devices. Information Technology requests that use of all other 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz devices be discontinued in university-owned buildings where wireless is installed. In cases where the device is being used for a specific teaching or research application, Information Technology will work with faculty to determine whether there are circumstances under which use of the device may still be accommodated without causing interference to GVSU Wireless users.
While we will not be actively monitoring the air space for potential interfering devices, we will seek out the user of a specific device if we find that it is actually causing interference and disrupting the campus network. In these cases, Information Technology reserves the right to restrict the usage of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio devices in university-owned buildings where wireless is installed.Access point interference is caused by the following devices:
- Cell Phones
- Cordless Telephones
- Surveillance Cameras
- High Voltage Audio Speakers
Faculty/Staff - GVSU Access Point, Router and Switch Policy
- Individually purchased access points may not be used on any GVSU campus. This is due to authentication/security issues as well as interference and support issues.
- Individually purchased routers and switches may not be used on any GVSU campus.
Student - GVSU Access Point, Router and Switch Policy
- Individually purchased access points and routers may not be used on any GVSU campus. This is due to authentication/security issues as well as interference and support issues. Discovery of unauthorized access points or routers could result in termination of your network connection.
- In cases of residence halls/students, there should be one network jack/port per student. If your apartment does not have one network jack/port per student, Contact IT helpdesk at 331-2101 and they will provide a network switch.
- In cases of residence halls/students that have one network jack/port per student. Students may purchase their own mini-switch that they may use it for additional ports.