GVSU Housing and Residence Life, in partnership with the Virus Action Team, is calling on all departments to assist in turning an empty student quarantine or isolation room into a more vibrant living space. We are looking for creative minds and generous hearts to provide an environment that will ease the difficulty of safely separating themselves from their Laker community for a short time. Join Housing and Residence Life and the Virus Action Team in making these temporary spaces feel more welcoming for the students who will utilize them throughout the year. Each department will receive a box of supplies that they should attempt to incorporate into their design. Each department will receive the same supplies to start with as listed below. Using some creativity and brainstorming, work with your department team to use the items provided, and add to the supplies, to create this enhanced living space. Remember, the spending limit for new items is $100 to create this “splash”!
Departments should complete registration prior to 5:00 pm Monday, October 12 or the following week Monday, October 19. Decorating will take place on October 15 and 16 and October 22 and 23. Judging will be completed Monday, October 26 by the Residence Housing Association (RHA). All rooms will be photographed and displayed, winners will receive special recognition through the website.
- All Departments are welcome to participate and all staff in the department should help brainstorm decoration ideas.
- You will be asked for a department contact.
- Two people will be allowed to operationalize the department vision and decorate the room (in accordance with social distancing and wearing a mask).
- Each department participating will be provided a supply kit with tape, approved wall hangers etc. see below for full list.
- Departments may spend up to $100 through personal (non-GVSU) funds to decorate the room.
- We have many rooms available and departments are welcome to decorate more than one space.
Creating a theme for the room (will need to be shared for review and approval).
- Laker Pride
- Art Prize
- Department focused theme
Remember to keep all themes inclusive. You may use resources from the office or department sponsoring the room.
- Lamps/Lights or alternative lighting (see restrictions on electric items)
- Wall decoration
- Books or activities
- Comfortable chair
- Side table
- Additional cooking devices (instapots, crock pots etc.)
- Plug in fragrance devices
- Living things (plants, fish, etc.)
Each room comes with a wardrobe, twin XL bed and mattress, chair, desk with organizer, 3 drawer dresser, and bookshelf.
Each department will receive a kit including the following:
- Plastic table cloth
- Tissue pom
- Beach ball globe
- Glass markers
- Sticky notes
- String of lights
- Sticky tack
- Squishy ball/stress ball
- Dry erase board
- Rubics cube
- Coloring book and color pencils