Desk Assistants perform residential community front desk administrative functions including working with keys, facilities, mail and packages, clerical support, and customer service. Staff are expected to be able to work with limited supervision, using independent judgment and initiative to provide excellent customer service assistance to students, visitors, Housing and Residence Life staff, and other University constituents.
Desk Assistants develop strong communication skills, customer service, teamwork, and serve as a resource for campus information and other duties as assigned by supervisor. Desk hours vary by location. All HRL student positions are expected to uphold the mission and values of HRL and GVSU, and to provide professional customer service.
- Current Grand Valley State University student
- Good academic and disciplinary standing
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Google Docs and general computer literacy
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate with customers, team members and supervisors
- Understanding of and ability to provide positive customer service practices
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Flexibility to work some night/weekend shifts/term breaks
- Available to arrive before courses begin for job training
- Uphold the mission, vision, and values of the University and Department.
- Maintain consistent attendance and punctuality at all scheduled work shifts, meetings and trainings.
- Create positive relationships with residents and other GVSU staff members.
- Provide excellent customer service, coordinating appropriate response to residential concerns and facilities issues.
- Answer phones, respond to emails, and communicate with students, staff, and guests.
- Track, audit, and distribute access cards and brass keys.
- Manage student credentials within Housing key system.
- Distribute mail and packages to residents/guests and maintain/audit package database.
- Manage guest/intern key and financial transactions.
- Utilize technology to perform job duties include The Housing Director, SQBX Package Tracking Software, and Vanderbilt key system.
- Abide by FERPA regulations; maintaining confidentiality of student records.
- Abide by Clery and Responsible Employee regulations; serving as a Campus Security Authority (CSA) which includes specific training, notification of role, and reporting responsibilities.
- Abide by Housing and Residence Life, Student Code, Information Technology and other University policies, conditions and guidelines.
- Ability to manage low level emergency/crisis response situations.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor(s).
- Reports to student Desk Managers, paraprofessional and/or professional staff.
- Candidates living on campus for academic year (Fall/Winter terms)
- Candidates with Work-Study status
- Work approximately 20-40 hours per two-week, pay period. University student work hours cannot exceed 25 hours within a week. Extended hours offered during university breaks and spring/summer term.
- Approval from direct supervisor for additional on- or off-campus employment.
- Desk Assistants may be required to work during periods in which there are no classes and/or the University is closed.
Grand Valley State University Housing and Residence Life employment opportunities are open to eligible/qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, or family status. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodations.