Haas Center for Performing Arts receives LEED® Silver status
The Thomas J. and Marcia J. Haas Center for Performing Arts on the Allendale Campus has been awarded LEED® Silver certification by the U.S. Green Building Council, demonstrating the university's commitment to sustainable progress through innovative design and construction.
LEED® certification is based on several factors, including site sustainability, water efficiency, energy use, materials and resources, environmental quality and innovation in design.
A two-story, 47,000-square-foot addition to the center in 2017 included the Linn Maxwell Keller Black Box Theatre, an expanded theater costume shop, new dressing rooms, two theater classrooms for costume design and fabrication, four music ensemble rooms and additional rehearsal spaces.
Several factors led to LEED® Silver certification including:
• Pollution prevention during construction
• Alternative transportation, public transportation access
• Preservation of habitat and natural resources
• Management of storm water runoff
• Water-efficient landscaping
• Building recycling program
• Use of locally manufactured materials
• Recycled material use
• Use of forest-certified wood
• Indoor air quality management and performance during and after construction
• Low-VOC emitting materials, adhesives, sealants, paints, flooring
• Indoor chemical and pollutant source controls