Graduate receives highest honor from state school board association

February 8, 2022 (Volume 45, Number 11)
Article by Brian Vernellis

headshot of Eric-John Szczepaniak

Eric-John Szczepaniak, '20, serves as secretary of the Kenowa Hills Public Schools Board of Education.

Photo Credit: courtesy photo

Eric-John Szczepaniak, ’20, was recently honored with the President’s Award from the Michigan Association of School Boards, becoming the youngest recipient of the award.

Szczepaniak serves as secretary of the Kenowa Hills Public Schools Board of Education and is in the last year of his six-year term with the board. 

After graduating from Kenowa Hills High School in 2016, Szczepaniak ran for a seat on the board, becoming its youngest and first LGBT member in board history.

“Every child deserves a champion, and I am proud to champion Kenowa Hills kids every day,” said Szczepaniak. 

Since joining the Kenowa Hills Public Schools Board of Education, Szczepaniak has devoted more than 1,500 hours to professional development from the MASB.

Szczepaniak, former Student Senate president, earned a bachelor’s degree in public and nonprofit administration in 2020 and will earn a master’s degree in election administration from the University of Minnesota in May. He plans to enter law school this fall.

“My GVSU education prepared me to lead in my community and look out for those who face more and different challenges than I do,” he said.

Categories

Across Campus

This article was last edited on February 8, 2022 at 9:16 a.m.

Related Articles

Gaines earns AP Achievement Award

The AP Achievement Award and six other awards were presented at the annual luncheon.

Featured

April 23, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 17)

Faculty responses to job satisfaction survey benefit Student Emergency Fund

Each response to the COACHE survey added to the fund; the total donated was more than $15,500.

Article by Michele Coffill

President's corner

Two recent events, Student Scholars Showcase and Reach Higher Showcase, show how Lakers are solving problems and building the future through remarkable research and ideation.