Public Health Society (PHS) Celebrates National Public Health Week!
Tuesday, April 6, 2021
Alumni, Community, Faculty, Staff, Students
Public Health Society (PHS), the student organization for the Master of Public Health program is celebrating National Public Health Week (NPHW), April 5 - 11, 2021! In addition to encouraging participation in several national NPHW virtual events, PHS will be hosting its own virtual events such as a virtual book club, movie night, and a virtual speakers panel on climate justice. Please RSVP to receive the Zoom link for PHS sponsored activities.
- Sunday: Welcome to Public Health Week
- Welcome to NPHW!
- NPHW Instagram Scavenger Hunt, April 5-11: Take part in this fun contest throughout NPHW for your chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card! Post a photo on Instagram relating to the 2021 NPHW daily themes with #NPHWinstahunt to enter to win. Happy hunting!
- Monday: Rebuilding Communities
- PHS Virtual Book Club via ZOOM @7pm - “Pandora’s Lab: Seven Stories of Science Gone Wrong” by Dr. Paul A. Offi https://www.amazon.com/Pandoras-Lab-Seven-Stories-Science/dp/1426217986 (Free with Audible trial)
- APHA Kickoff Webinar: Building Healthy Communities from the Grassroots 1-3pm, RSVP.
- Tuesday: Advancing Racial Equity
- PHS Virtual Movie Night via ZOOM @8pm - “13th” available for streaming on Netflix
- APHA: COVID-19 Public Policy Playbook web panel, 12-1:30 p.m. ET
- APHA: Building Bridges to Advance Equity: A peer exchange with the Healthiest Cities and Counties Challenge communities, 12-1:30 p.m. ET
- APHA: NPHW and AJPH: A Dialogue, 4-5 p.m. ET. Join AJPH authors and Editor-In-Chief Alfredo Morabia for this discussion and Q&A about this year's NPHW issue.
- APHA: NPHW Family Trivia Night, 6 p.m. ET and 6 p.m. PT. There will be two sessions for East Coast and West Coast dinnertime, and questions about public health, pop culture and more. Kids are welcome, and prizes will be awarded to top teams.
- APHA Student Assembly 101 webinar, 7-8 p.m. ET. Learn more about the inner workings of the nation's largest student-led public health organization.
- Wednesday: Strengthening Community
- PHS Social Media- Sharing Community Resources Poll on Instagram @12-2pm
- National Public Health Twitter Chat 2-3pm. #NPH!Chat on Twitter. RSVP
- Thursday: Galvanizing Climate Justice
Student Champions for Climate Justice: PHS Hosted
Virtual Panel for the APHA’s Center for Climate, Health &
Equity- focusing on disaster preparedness and
individuals with disabilities
- Guest Speakers: Karla Black PhD PEM MEP, Shontaye Witcher MSW PhD, Gabby Roux MPH, Anna Landre, and Pat Draper
- Community-wide event
- INT 100/201 Certified and IPE Certification Credit
- Join Zoom Event: Apr 8, 2021 06:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
APHA Student Day
- APHA: Lessons in Mentoring webinar, 12-1 p.m. ET
- APHA: Get Hired After Graduation young professionals panel, 5-6 p.m. ET
APHA Policy Action Institute- Bring policy and
public health together 1-5pm
- Registration required
- Event cost: $50 for students
- Student Champions for Climate Justice: PHS Hosted Virtual Panel for the APHA’s Center for Climate, Health & Equity- focusing on disaster preparedness and individuals with disabilities
- Friday: Constructing COVID-19 Resilience
PHS Personal Development and Education Activity
- Use either of the two sites listed below to complete a free Public Health certification that will help develop your knowledge.
- APHA Policy Action Institute- Bring policy and public health together 1-5pm
- PHS Personal Development and Education Activity
- Saturday: Uplifting Mental Health and Wellness
PHS Kickboxing with Eilish @11am
- Where: CKO Kickboxing Grand Rapids South
- 6670 Kalamazoo Ave SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49508
- What to bring: clean shoes to wear in the studio (separate from outside shoes), a mask (it will get sweaty!), and a water bottle
- RSVP by Friday at 5pm. Space is limited!
- Where: CKO Kickboxing Grand Rapids South
PHS Bob Ross Art Night via ZOOM @7pm
- What you need: paper, crayons, colored pencils, paints, your choice!
- The video uses green, red, yellow, orange, blue, white, purple, & black paints. Be resourceful and use what you already have!
APHA Virtual Zumba, noon-1 p.m. ET
- Join Washington, D.C.-area Zumba fitness instructor Sandra Lopez for a free virtual Zumba fitness class! This all-levels dance class will be fun, fast and beginning-friendly, with modifications available.
APHA Vision board workshop, 3-4 p.m. ET
- Join APHA staff as we focus on what matters, and get creative visualizing our goals! We'll be creating virtual vision boards. This free art workshop is open to everyone.
- PHS Kickboxing with Eilish @11am
- Sunday: Elevating the Essential and Health Workforce
PHS Social Media- Virtual “Thank You” chain,
Color and Share!
- PDFs will be available on PHS Instagram and Facebook Story
APHA Virtual Yoga, noon-1 p.m. ET
- Wind down at the end of NPHW with a yoga class to center you and inspire you to keep moving even after the Keep It Moving Challenge is over! This free, virtual class is taught by Dr. Marcia of Move with Marcia and will be suitable for all levels, with modifications available.
- PHS Social Media- Virtual “Thank You” chain, Color and Share!
Emily Pokorski, firstname.lastname@example.org
Share this event
This event was added to the calendar by Heather Koster (email@example.com) on Monday, April 5, 2021 at 10:20 a.m.