Alumni Veteran Career Panel
Wednesday, October 7, 2020
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Panelists will give student and alumni veterans and others from the military community a chance to learn about what real-world potential obstacles — and opportunities — exist in the world of work by hearing directly from those who have gone before.
As a result of participating in a panel discussion, students will be able to:
- Integrate career path interests with real-world experiences shared by panelists
- Better understand how to integrate their past military experience with their GV education
- Compare their perception of a career interest vs the realities shared by panelists (e.g., potential schedules, relevant experience, and compensation);
- Analyze both the pros and cons of a potential career path
- Connect with potential resources and/or mentors who participated in the panel
Sponsored by GVSU’s Veterans Network, the GVSU Career Center and GVSU Veterans Upward Bound.
- Uma Mishra-Newbery (Army), Non-Profit Leader, Class of 2011 (https://www.linkedin.com/in/uma-mishra-newbery-05447a25/) — Uma Mishra-Newbery is a global social justice and women’s rights leader and the former Executive Director of Women’s March Global. Her transparent, visionary yet grounded leadership was instrumental in furthering the mobilisation and assembly of women globally around women’s rights issues with Women’s March Global. Uma has organized and built coalitions around the issues of women’s human rights defenders, freedom of association and assembly, bodily autonomy, LGBTQIA+ rights, and white supremacy in the women’s rights and funding space. As a leader in the global women’s rights movement Uma has been interviewed by CNN, AlJazeera, Jane Dutton, Newsweek, Devex and published by Ms. Magazine, TIME, and IPS. She has been profiled by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in their I Stand With Her Campaign and is a noted speaker at global conferences. She currently serves on the board of directors of Minority Veterans of America and the Interim Committee of Women’s March Global and as the lead facilitator for the Racial Equity Index. She currently resides in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Michael Hyacinthe (Navy), Entrepreneur (https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-hyacinthe-91503753/) — Michael Hyacinthe is an 8-year United States Navy Veteran who served as a U.S. Navy Seabee combat warfare specialist. Michael is also a driven entrepreneur focusing on social enterprises. His most recent project is an iPhone ed-tech app called Wimage, or “words to images,” which helps children learn through visualization and creativity. Originally from the Bronx, NY, he currently lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan, with his wife and their four kids. He is a graduate of Grand Valley State University and is still a New York Knicks fan.
- Steven Smith (Coast Guard), Executive Assistant to VP & CFO Worldwide Consumer at Amazon, Class of 2007 (https://www.linkedin.com/in/steven-m-smith/) — Steve Smith is a dual master's degree graduate of the University of Michigan, former Wolverine boxer, and spent 9 years as a Naval Officer in the U.S. Coast Guard. Before his Service, he directed a state political campaign, coached youth football, and worked with Foremost Insurance. Steve completed his undergraduate work at Grand Valley State and also has a master's degree from the U.S. Naval War College. In the summer of 2018, he had the unique opportunity to join the cohort of the Stanford Graduate School of Business's Post 9/11 Ignite Program. Originally from Michigan, he's a proud Eagle Scout and Delta Sig Alum, who has lived on all three U.S. coasts. Steve currently works for Amazon and is a Co-Director of Service 2 School, a non-profit that works to help Veterans get to the universities of their dreams. He spends his spare time reading, training, sailing, and exploring the Pacific Northwest w/ his fiance.
This event is part of the Work Like A Laker Conference. For more information, please visit: https://www.gvsu.edu/careers/wlalconference. All sessions offered can be found in Handshake Events.
For questions about accessibility or to request accommodations please contact the GVSU Career Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 616-331-6708. Requests should be made as soon as possible but at least two days prior to the event.
If you experience any technical difficulties, please contact 616-331-3311.
Event link will be shared upon registration.
GVSU Career Center I email@example.com I 616-331-3311
Share this event
This event was added to the calendar by Amy Schuster (firstname.lastname@example.org) on Tuesday, September 22, 2020 and was last updated on Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 2:11 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
AOD Healthy HabitsOnline
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Coffee! Hot Chocolate! Donuts! And of course, mini pumpkins! - with Intervarsity Christian FellowshipAllendale Campus
7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Knowledge Support SeriesOnline
7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Lakers & Dragons: Dungeons & Dragons NightAllendale Campus
10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.