Design Thinking Faculty & Staff Grant
What: Money from the original Design Thinking Initiative dedicated funds are available to support faculty/staff interested in enhancing the learning and teaching of design thinking at GVSU.
How: Apply for up to $500 per faculty/staff per school year (partnering with other faculty/staff available)
Why: Increase the number of creative, collaborative problem-solvers across the GVSU campus
Who: Any GVSU faculty/staff with an interest in design thinking can apply
When: Applications open at the beginning of each semester for two weeks or for as long as funds are available – up to $5,000 per year.
Ready to apply?
To apply, faculty and staff must submit:
- a description of how their project will enhance learning and teaching of design thinking at GVSU;
- a detailed budget associated with the design thinking project specifying the amount of financial support requested; and
- support from the GVSU faculty/staff member’s unit head/supervisor.
Submit these items via an online application form.
A committee, selected by the Dean of Brooks College, will review each application and make a recommendation whether or not to support the request within two weeks of submission. The committee may be made up of GVSU faculty, staff, and students, and community members outside of GVSU with knowledge of design thinking. The Dean will review each recommendation and have the final decision.
Upon completion of the project, faculty/staff are expected to submit a brief report (under 200 words) to the office of the Dean of Brooks College describing what they accomplished/learned and how it will enhance design thinking across the GVSU community. Portions of these reports may be placed on the GVSU Design Thinking website or shared in promotional materials.
Funding will be considered for:
- Purchasing books on design thinking
- Registration for design thinking seminars
- Travel to design thinking events
- Membership fees for professional design thinking organizations
- Registration or travel to design thinking conferences
- Fees for virtual design thinking courses and certifications
- Developing GVSU design thinking courses
- Costs associated with presenting/leading design thinking sessions
- Organizing an on-campus design thinking event
- Supplemental funds for design thinking resources used in class
- Paying for a student intern as a class assistant in a design thinking course