2020-2021 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Bioinformatics and Genomics Undergraduate Certificate
Bioinformatics and genomics have become crucial components of life science research and industry (including biotechnology, medicine, and the pharmaceutical industry). Career options are numerous and will become more plentiful in the future as part of the big data analytics field. Students trained in these novel techniques will be more competitive in their applications for jobs and graduate programs. Students must be degree-seeking to receive the certificate. The certificate will be awarded at the same time as the degree is awarded. All undergraduate certificates have received Higher Learning Commission approval, and students are eligible for financial aid because they are seeking a degree.
Requirements for the Certificate in Bioinformatics and Genomics
The certificate in bioinformatics and genomics requires a minimum of 12 credits (nine credits in the core and at least three credits of electives).
- CMB 451 - Bioinformatics: Tools and Techniques for Life Scientists (3 credits)
- CMB 452 - Computer Modeling of Biomolecules (3 credits)
- CMB 460 - Genomics and Molecular Diagnostics (3 credits)
Choose at least one:
- CIS 160 - Learn to Code in Python (3 credits)
- CIS 161 - Computational Science (3 credits)
- CIS 162 - Computer Science I (4 credits)
- CMB 440 - Research Applications in Drosophila Genomics (3 credits)
- CMB 485 - Molecular Ecology (3 credits)
- STA 312 - Probability and Statistics (3 credits)
- STA 216 - Intermediate Applied Statistics (3 credits)
- STA 318 - Statistical Computing (3 credits)
While these courses are all distinct in their scopes and objectives, they share a common theme of providing knowledge and hands-on experience with computer and mathematical models helping to solve diverse problems in biology or medicine. With permission, other courses may be applied toward the required elective for the certificate in bioinformatics and genomics.
A maximum of one course can be credited by transfer toward completion of the certificate in bioinformatics and genomics. Students must complete at least three of the courses for the certificate at GVSU.