2022-2023 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Teacher Certification in Economics
Requirements for the Teacher Certification in Economics
Students seeking teacher certification in economics should note that besides economics, the new standards established by the Michigan State Board of Education require basic knowledge of geography, history, and political science. Students can qualify for certification by taking the following coursework.
Economics Minor with Teacher Certification
- ECO 210 - Introductory Macroeconomics (3 credits)
- ECO 211 - Introductory Microeconomics (3 credits)
- ECO 312 - Applied Microeconomics (3 credits)
- ECO 313 - Business Cycles and Growth (3 credits)
- ECO 349 - Emerging Markets Issues (3 credits) OR ECO 369 - International Economic Issues (3 credits)
In addition, students must take the following or equivalent to obtain basic knowledge in political science, history, and geography:
- GPY 235 - Geography for a Changing World (3 credits)
- HST 206 - American History since 1877 (3 credits)
- PLS 102 - American Government and Politics (3 credits)
Michigan Test for Teacher Certification
Besides coursework, students are required to obtain a satisfactory score in the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) in economics. For further details, please contact the chair of the department.