2022-2023 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Badge in Distributed Computing
The School of Computing's distributed computing badge (not a degree or certificate) is designed to prepare students to accomplish the following:
- Describe how TCP/IP enable the Internet to function.
- Set up network firewalls.
- Evaluate different virtualization architectures.
- Understand issues posed by distributed systems such as clock synchronization, naming, and consistency.
- Write a Web-based application.
Completion of a bachelor's degree and evidence of object-oriented programming skill are required for admission.
The distributed computing badge is comprised of three courses (nine credits), including:
- CIS 654 - Computer Networking (3 credits)
- CIS 656 - Distributed Systems (3 credits)
- CIS 658 - Web Architectures (3 credits)
The distributed computing badge is offered on the Pew Grand Rapids Campus in downtown Grand Rapids, MI.