2022-2023 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Badge in Database Management
The School of Computing's database management badge (not a degree or certificate) is designed to prepare students to accomplish the following:
- Create relational and nonrelational databases.
- Utilize computational methods for knowledge discovery in bioinformatics and medicine.
- Describe challenges posed by clinical information systems.
- Create visualizations for complex data sets.
- Tune the performance of relational database management systems.
- Utilize emerging nonrelational databases such as object-oriented and XML databases.
Completion of a bachelor's degree and evidence of object-oriented programming skills are required for admission.
The database management badge is offered on the Pew Grand Rapids Campus in downtown Grand Rapids, MI.
The database management badge is comprised of three courses (nine credits).
Students must take:
AND two of the following:
- CIS 635 - Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (3 credits)
- CIS 660 - Information Management and Science (3 credits)
- CIS 665 - Clinical Information Systems (3 credits)
- CIS 671 - Information Visualization (3 credits)
- CIS 676 - Database Management Systems (3 credits)
- CIS 679 - Special Topics in Database Management (3 credits)