2019-2020 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Adventure Tourism Management Minor
Requirements for a Minor in Adventure Tourism Management
Students in hospitality and tourism management (HTM) and other majors may minor in adventure tourism management by completing 12 credits in the required core, two credits from the FIT courses, and seven elective credits as per the following plan.
A. Required Foundation Courses (Credits: 12)
- HTM 268 - Adventure Tourism (3 credits)
- HTM 235 - Tourism and Recreation Management (3 credits)
- HTM 368 - Geotourism (3 credits)
- NRM 420 - Wildland Recreation Management (3 credits) (fall only)
B. FIT Courses (Two from the following)
- FIT 119 - Outdoor Skills (1 credit)
- FIT 128 - Rock Climbing (1 credit)
- FIT 153 - Sailing-Large Boat (1 credit)
- Or other FIT courses with approval of department chair/assistant chair.
C. Electives (Credits: Minimum of 7)
To complete the adventure tourism management minor, students must also undertake a minimum of seven additional credits from the following:
- HTM 202 - International Tourism (3 credits)
- NRM 451 - Natural Resource Policy (3 credits)
- NRM 300 - Ethical Recreation: Leave No Trace (1 credit)
- MGT 345 - Team Building (3 credits)
- MGT 330 - Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management (3 credits)
- MGT 364 - Service Operations Management (3 credits)
- * HTM 290/390/490 (adventure tourism-based) Field Experience Credits: 2
*Students minoring in adventure tourism management are encouraged to consider including at least one field experience course in their program. MGT, NRM, MOV appropriate adventure-based internships may be included.
Interested students should meet with the HTM chair or assistant chair to establish a specific minor plan.