2022-2023 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
For additional information about opportunities your college offers, please refer to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences section in this catalog.
Master of Science in biostatistics; Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts in statistics; minors in applied statistics, mathematical statistics, and data science. The programs in statistics are offered by the Department of Statistics within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. All interested students are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of Statistics.
Statistics is the science of collecting, organizing, and interpreting data. Statistics is a scientific discipline through which researchers learn to make informed decisions in the face of uncertainty. Students learn to define problems, to think critically, to analyze, and to synthesize. Statistics students gain an appreciation for the integrity of data, the uncertainty of measurements, and the strengths and limitations of science. This background prepares them to explore widely throughout their professional lives, and to be creative and productive citizens regardless of the nature of their careers.
The Department of Statistics informs and actively engages students and colleagues in the ethical practice of modern statistical science and further contributes to our society through active scholarship and effective service.
The Department of Statistics is committed to advancing the science of statistics by maintaining an inclusive learning community that is characterized by:
- Faculty members who are dedicated to expanding the discipline of statistics, improving the pedagogy of statistics, and broadening the application of statistics.
- Students who are actively engaged in enhancing their understanding of statistics and its application.
All members of our community are encouraged to utilize their statistical skills to be ethical and productive professionals, lifelong learners, and responsible citizens.
Mu Sigma Rho
The following programs are available:
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Statistics
- Combined Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Statistics and Master of Science in Data Science and Analytics
- Combined Bachelor of Science in Statistics and Master of Science in Applied Statistics
- Combined Bachelor of Science in Statistics and Master of Science in Biostatistics
- Applied Statistics Minor
- Data Science Minor
- Mathematical Statistics Minor