2022-2023 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Health Communication
Requirements for a Major in Health Communication
All students majoring in the School of Communications must complete the following core courses, for a total of nine credits:
Select one of two:
All students majoring in Health Communication must take COM 495 (three credits) during their senior year. This Capstone course offers a synthesis of ideas and theories about one or more current critical issues in communication.
B.A. and B.S. Degree Requirements
All undergraduate programs in the School of Communications offer both the B.A. degree and the B.S. degree. All students selecting majors in the School of Communications must choose either the B.A. degree requirements or the B.S. degree requirements for a particular undergraduate program.
B.A. in Health Communication
The B.A. degree in health communication requires a third-semester proficiency in a classical or modern foreign language of the student's choice.
B.S. in Health Communication
The Bachelor of Science degree in health communication requires the following three courses:
- COM 275 - Foundations of Communication Research (3 credits)
- COM 375 - Communication Research (3 credits)
- STA 215 - Introductory Applied Statistics (3 credits)
Biomedical Sciences Core
There are 19 credits required.
A higher-level laboratory biology class (such as BIO 120) can be substituted for BIO 104. A higher-level laboratory chemistry class (such as CHM 115) can be substituted for CHM 109. See the School of Communications for an evaluation and further recommendations.
- BMS 202 - Anatomy and Physiology (4 credits)
- BMS 223 - Infectious Human Diseases; Prevention and Control (3 credits)
- CHM 109 - Introductory Chemistry (4 credits)
- AHS 340 - Health Care Management (3 credits)
- AHS 100 - Medical Terminology (3 credits)
- BIO 104 - Biology for the 21st Century (4 credits)
Core courses include 27 credits.
- CAP 209 - Advertising Basics (3 credits)
- CAP 219 - Public Relations Basics (3 credits)
- CAP 321 - Media Relations Writing (3 credits)
- CMJ 256 - News Reporting (3 credits)
- CMJ 390 - Technical Writing (3 credits)
- COM 209 - Health Communication Systems (3 credits)
- COM 410 - Senior Seminar in Health Communication (3 credits)
- COM 490 - Internship (1 to 6 credits)
- MKT 300 - Fundamentals of Marketing for Nonbusiness Majors (3 credits)
There are six elective credits required. Choose two courses from the list or consult with your faculty advisor for assistance in choosing elective courses.
- ANT 320 - Culture and Disease (3 credits)
- COM 210 - Nonverbal Communication (3 credits)
- COM 378 - Intercultural Communication (3 credits)
- COM 438 - Communication Ethics (3 credits)
- PH 222 - Public Health Concepts (3 credits)
- SOC 286 - Health and Society (3 credits)