LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out information about COVID-19
2020-2021 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Bioinformatics and Genomics Graduate Certificate
Bioinformatics and genomics have become crucial components of life science research and industry (including biotechnology, medicine, and the pharmaceutical industry). Career options are already numerous and will become more plentiful in the future as part of the big data analytics field. Students trained in these novel techniques will be more competitive in their applications for jobs and graduate programs.
A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education is required, in addition to the following.
- Undergraduate life science experience (e.g. biology, genetics, or biochemistry).
- Submission of all required admission materials, including:
- Completed graduate application for admission
- Official copies of transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended (other than GVSU) Transcripts must be sent from those institutions directly to the GVSU Admissions Office
- Personal statement of career goals and background experiences, including an explanation of how this program will help achieve educational and professional objectives.
- For applicants whose native language is not English: test scores from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), or IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) or PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic). The following minimum scores are expected: TOEFL is 80, IELTS is 6.5, MELAB is 77, and PTE Academic is 53. Alternatively, we will accept the successful completion of ELS 112 as demonstration of English language proficiency.
Requirements for the Certificate in Bioinformatics and Genomics
The certificate in bioinformatics and genomics requires a minimum of 12 credits (nine credits in the core and at least three credits of electives).
- CMB 551 - Bioinformatics: Tools and Techniques for Life Scientists (3 credits)
- CMB 552 - Computer Modeling of Biomolecules (3 credits)
- CMB 560 - Genomics and Molecular Diagnostics (3 credits)
Choose at least one:
- BIO 585/CMB 585 - Molecular Ecology (3 credits)
- CIS 611 - Introduction to Software Engineering (3 credits)
- CIS 635 - Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (3 credits)
- CIS 673 - Principles of Database Design (3 credits)
- CIS 677 - High-performance Computing (3 credits)
- CIS 678 - Machine Learning (3 credits)