2020-2021 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Badge in Database Management
The School of Computing's database management badge (not a degree or certificate) is designed to prepare students to accomplish tasks such as:
- Creating relational and nonrelational databases.
- Utilizing computational methods for knowledge discovery in bioinformatics and medicine.
- Describing challenges posed by clinical information systems.
- Creating visualizations for complex data sets.
- Tuning the performance of relational database management systems.
- Utilizing emerging nonrelational databases such as object-oriented and XML databases.
Completion of a bachelor's degree and evidence of object-oriented programming skill is required for admission.
The database management badge is offered on the Pew Grand Rapids Campus in downtown Grand Rapids, MI.
The database management badge is comprised of three courses (nine credits).
Students must take:
AND two of the following:
- CIS 635 - Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (3 credits)
- CIS 660 - Information Management and Science (3 credits)
- CIS 665 - Clinical Information Systems (3 credits)
- CIS 671 - Information Visualization (3 credits)
- CIS 676 - Database Management Systems (3 credits)
- CIS 679 - Special Topics in Database Management (3 credits)