2018-2019 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Graduate Certificate in Bioinformatics and Genomics
Bioinformatics and genomics have become crucial components of life science research and industry (including biotechnology, medicine, and the pharmaceutical industry). Career options are already numerous and will become more plentiful in the future as part of the big data analytics field. Students trained in these novel techniques will be more competitive in their applications for jobs and graduate programs.
Admission Requirements: Admission to a graduate program at GVSU.
Requirements for the Certificate in Bioinformatics and Genomics
The certificate in bioinformatics and genomics requires a minimum of 12 credits (nine credits in the core and at least three credits of electives).
- CMB 551 - Bioinformatics: Tools and Techniques for Life Scientists (3 credits)
- CMB 552 - Computer Modeling of Biomolecules (3 credits)
- CMB 560 - Genomics and Molecular Diagnostics (3 credits)
Elective Courses (choose at least one)
- BIO 585/ CMB 585 - Molecular Ecology (3 credits)
- CIS 611 - Introduction to Software Engineering (3 credits)
- CIS 673 - Principles of Database Design (3 credits)
- CIS 677 - High-performance Computing Credits: 3