LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
2016-2017 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Middle East Studies Minor
For additional information about opportunities your college offers, please refer to the Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies section in this catalog.
Requirements for a Minor in Middle East Studies
Students minoring in Middle East studies must complete a minimum of 1819 hours of coursework. Normally, this includes ten credits of core courses (including four credits of language) and nine credits of electives. Students entering the university competent in Arabic at the 202 level or higher will take one additional elective course, for a total of 18 credits. No more than two courses from any department other than Middle East studies can be counted toward the minor.
All minors are required to complete the following courses
- ARA 202 - Intermediate Arabic II Credits: 4
- HST 337 - The Age of Islamic Empire Credits: 3 OR HST 338 - Modern Middle East (3 credits)
- MES 201 - Introduction to the Middle East Credits: 3
In addition to the preceding required courses
Students with fourth-semester or higher competence in Hebrew, Persian, or Turkish may substitute that for the Arabic requirement but will likewise take one extra course from the list below.
Students will select three courses (nine credits) from the following list:
- ANT 330 - Anthropology of Selected World Areas Credits: 3
- ANT 350 - Archaeology of Mid-East Credits: 3
- ENG 303 - Studies in World Literature Credits: 3
- GPY 355 - Geography of Southwest Asia (The Middle East). Credits: 3
- HST 211 - History of Islamic Civilization Credits: 3
- HST 310 - Cultural and Social Topics in Nonwestern History Credits: 3
- HST 337 - The Age of Islamic Empire Credits: 3
- HST 338 - Modern Middle East Credits: 3
- HST 339 - Modern Iran Credits: 3
- MES 202 - Arab Americans Credits: 3
- MES 333 - Study Abroad- Middle East Studies Credits: 1-6
- MES 350 - Islam: Scripture and Ritual Credits: 3
- MES 370 - Contemporary Issues in the Middle East: The Model Arab League Credits: 3
- MES 380 - Special Topics in Middle East Studies Credits: 3
- MES 399 - Independent Studies Credits: 1 to 3
- PLS 320 - Comparative Politics of the Middle East Credits: 3