2016-2017 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Master of Education in Instruction and Curriculum: Educational Differentiation Emphasis
For additional information about opportunities your college offers, please refer to the College of Education section in this catalog.
Mission - Teaching, leading, and learning in a democratic society.
Philosophy - Believing that schools function as social and political entities as well as for the growth of individuals, the College of Education prepares teachers and leaders a) to enhance the academic and personal potential of their students, and b) to evaluate the social and ethical implications of educational policies and practices.
Values - The College of Education values expertise to guide our practice, equity to guide our interactions, liberal education to guide our perspectives, and social responsibility to guide our commitment to democratic education. We value these ideals in our preparation of candidates, our development of faculty, and our relationships with the larger community we serve.
This program prepares classroom teachers and specialists to understand and meet the educational needs of students with exceptional abilities across the learning continuum within the mixed-ability classroom. The program focuses on assessment, methodology, materials, curriculum, and administration.
Minimum Number of Hours in Program: 33
DeVos Center, Pew Campus downtown Grand Rapids, MI
Requirements for M.Ed. in Educational Differentiation
Social Foundations of Education (Choose one):
- EDF 671 - Educational Policy and Practice (3 credits)
- EDF 672 - Social/Cultural Foundations of Education (3 credits)
Research and Evaluation:
- EDI 639 - Curriculum Development (3 credits)
- EDI 638 - Facilitating School Environments (3 credits)
- EDI 637 - Assessment: K-12 Models and Practices (3 credits)
Emphasis Area Courses (Choose 3 out of 4):
- EDS 652 - Foundations of Special Education (3 credits)
- EDI 640 - Fundamentals of Talent Development (3 credits)
- EDI 641 - Teaching for Talent Development (3 credits)
- EDS 625 - Inclusive Practices (3 credits)
- Elective Credits:3
Capstone (choose one):