2016-2017 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Requirements for a Minor in German
Minors must take at least 21 credits of German beyond GER 201, including:
- GER 202 - Intermediate German II Credits: 4
- GER 301 - German Composition Credits: 3
- GER 302 - German Conversation Credits: 3
- 4 upper-level courses, only one of which may be GER 341, GER 342, or GER 385. Credits: 12.
In addition to the above, minors must complete two elective courses at the 300 or 400 level, which may include additional courses in culture, linguistics and literature, or other elective courses.
Requirements for a Secondary Education Minor in German
Students minoring and planning for certification in German are required to complete at least 27 hours beyond the 200 level (GER 202), including:
- GER 301 - German Composition (3 credits)
- GER 302 - German Conversation (3 credits)
- GER 314 - Secondary Foreign Language Teaching Methods (3 credits)
- GER 322 - Introduction to German Linguistics (3 credits)
- GER 341 - Advanced German Grammar (3 credits)
- One literature course, selected from GER 303/304/401/402 Credits: 3
- One culture course, selected from GER 311/312/315 Credits: 3
- Two additional elective courses, selected from the literature, culture, or linguistics (GER 321/421) categories, or GER 342, Advanced Speaking Strategies and Skills. Credits: 6
- All German Secondary Education minors must complete an approved study abroad program in a German-speaking country of a minimum of one semester in length. Students who cannot complete this requirement may work with a faculty advisor to complete one of several alternative programs, which may add additional credits. Students who have already spent considerable time abroad, especially in a German-language high school, may be exempt from the requirement. Please discuss your situation with an advisor as early in your program as possible.
- German Secondary Education minors must achieve a rating of at least Advanced-low on an official Oral Proficiency Interview in order to receive an endorsement to teach German.