LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
2016-2017 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Certificate in Latino/a Studies
The certificate in Latino/a studies is designed for students who are, or anticipate, working with people of Spanish-speaking Latin American or Caribbean heritage. It will serve both traditional and non traditional students seeking a focused, interdisciplinary curriculum that increases their knowledge of the histories, demographics, and cultures of different Latino/a groups.
To complete the certificate, students must earn a bachelor's degree, successfully complete the two required courses, and electives from the list below totaling nine credits. All credits for this certificate program must be earned at Grand Valley State University. Students may use credits from this certificate program for the Latin American and Latino/a studies minor.
Required (6 credits)
- LAS 220 - Introduction to Latino/a Studies Credits: 3
- LAS 373 - Latinos/as in West Michigan Credits: 3
Elective Courses (9 credits)
- CJ 325 - Criminal Justice and Human Rights Credits: 3
- CJ 482 - Culture, Crime and Justice Credits: 3
- ENG 335 - Literature of American Minorities Credits: 3
- HST 315 - Latinos: The Forging of Ethnic Identities Credits: 3
- HST 316 - U.S. Civil Rights Movement History Credits: 3
- LAS 210 - Exploring Latin America Credits: 3
- LAS 380 - Special Topics in Latin American Studies Credits: 1 to 3
- LAS 399 - Independent Studies Credits: 1 to 3
- LAS 490 - Latin American Studies Internship Credits: 1 to 3
- SOC 322 - Sociology of Community Credits: 3
- SPA 304 - Spanish for Health Professionals Credits: 3 or SPA 305 - Spanish for Law Enforcement (3 credits) or SPA 306 - Spanish for Business (3 credits)
- S PA 313 - U.S. Latino/a Civilization and Culture Credits: 3
- SPA 430 - U.S. Latino/a Literature Credits: 3