2016-2017 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Bachelor of Science in Earth Science
For additional information about opportunities your college offers, please refer to The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in this catalog.
Requirements for a Major in Earth Science
The earth science B.S. is designed for students who want to pursue a career in secondary education. The major can also serve as a pathway to other careers. Michigan teacher certification requires completion of the College of Education professional program and a minor area of study. The geology department strongly recommends students in this major complete a biology minor. Earth science majors with a biology minor can earn a science (DI) endorsement with an additional 9 credits coursework. Students are encouraged to visit their advisor to design the best possible curricular track. A minimum of 2.7 GPA in the major is required for recommendation for teacher certification.
Completion of a major in earth science requires the following:
1. General University Degree Requirements
As identified in the General Academic Regulations section of the Grand Valley State University Graduate and Undergraduate Catalog.
2. Geology Courses
21 semester credit hours of geology courses with a minimum overall GPA of 2.0.
- GEO 111 - Exploring the Earth Credits: 4
- GEO 112 - Earth History Credits: 4
- GEO 175 - Research Tools for Geosciences Credits: 1
- GEO 319 - Earth Science in Secondary Education Credits: 4
- GEO 320 - Geomorphology (Earth Science Capstone) Credits: 4
- GEO 430 - Oceanography Credits: 3
- GEO 485 - Geology Seminar Credits: 1
3. Cognate Science Courses
25 semester credit hours of science cognate courses with a minimum overall GPA of C (2.0).
- CHM 115 - Principles of Chemistry I Credits: 4
- MTH 122 - College Algebra Credits: 3
- NRM 140 - The Climatic Factor Credits: 4 OR [[permalink=867|dynamic]]%prefix% %code% - %name% %program_field%[[/permalink]]
- PHY 105 - Descriptive Astronomy Credits: 3
- PHY 220 - General Physics I Credits: 5
- PHY 221 - General Physics II Credits: 5
4. General Education B.S. Degree Cognate Courses
11 semester credit hours of general education B.S. degree cognate courses with a minimum overall GPA of 2.0.
- GEO 211 - Mineralogy Credits: 4
- GEO 212 - Petrology Credits: 4
- MTH 123 - Trigonometry Credits: 3