LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
2016-2017 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Applied Statistics Minor
Requirements for a Minor in Applied Statistics
The applied statistics minor is offered within the Department of Statistics and consists of seven courses (at least 21 credits).
One or two of the seven courses may be from a list of GVSU courses (called Application Cognate courses) that are accepted by the statistics department as applying statistical methodology.
All minors must complete the following statistics core courses (6 credits):
- STA 215 - Introductory Applied Statistics Credits: 3
- STA 312 - Probability and Statistics Credits: 3
- STA 216 - Intermediate Applied Statistics Credits: 3
All minors must also complete five additional courses (15 credits)
At least three of the courses must come from the following list:
- STA 301 - Questionnaire Design and Execution (3 credits)
- STA 310 - Introduction to Biostatistics (3 credits)
- STA 311 - Introduction to Survey Sampling (3 credits)
- STA 313 - Probability and Stochastic Processes (3 credits)
- STA 314 - Statistical Quality Methods (3 credits)
- STA 315 - Design of Experiments (3 credits)
- STA 317 - Nonparametric Statistical Analysis (3 credits)
- STA 318 - Statistical Computing (3 credits)
- STA 321 - Applied Regression Analysis (3 credits)
- STA 418 - Statistical Computing and Graphics with R (3 credits)
- STA 419 - Statistics Project (3 credits)
- STA 426 - Multivariate Data Analysis (3 credits)
The remaining two courses either may be from the above list or may be from the Applications Cognates list of courses. The Applications Cognates list of courses is available from the statistics department.
Students are strongly advised to meet with a member of the statistics faculty as soon as they decide to minor in applied statistics to develop specific plans for the courses outside of statistics.