2014-2015 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Master of Education in Higher Education: Adult and Higher Education Emphasis
For additional information about opportunities your college offers, please refer to the College of Education section in this catalog.
Mission - Teaching, leading, and learning in a democratic society.
Philosophy - Believing that schools function as social and political entities as well as for the growth of individuals, the College of Education prepares teachers and leaders a) to enhance the academic and personal potential of their students, and b) to evaluate the social and ethical implications of educational policies and practices.
Values - The College of Education values expertise to guide our practice, equity to guide our interactions, liberal education to guide our perspectives, and social responsibility to guide our commitment to democratic education. We value these ideals in our preparation of candidates, our development of faculty, and our relationships with the larger community we serve.
This program is designed for persons who wish to develop their knowledge and competencies in working with adult and higher education students and for individuals who wish to enter student affairs administration in higher education.
Minimum Number of Hours in Program
The M.Ed. in higher education with an emphasis in adult and higher education requires a minimum of 36 semester hours.
DeVos Center, Pew Campus downtown Grand Rapids, MI
Requirements for M.Ed. in Adult and Higher Education
Social Foundations of Education (Choose one):
- EDF 671 - Educational Policy and Practice (3 credits)
- EDF 672 - Social/Cultural Foundations of Education (3 credits)
Research and Evaluation:
Emphasis Area Requirements for Adult and Higher Education:
- EDH 648 - The Adult Learner (3 credits)
- EDH 650 - Materials and Methods for Adult and Continuing Education (3 credits)
- EDH 651 - Higher Education and Student Affairs Functions (3 credits)
- EDH 652 - The American College Student (3 credits)
- EDH 656 - Organization and Administration in Higher Education (3 credits)
- EDH 657 - The Community College (3 credits)
- EDH 658 - Critical Issues in Higher Education (3 credits)
Six Hours Electives (Advisor approval required):
- Elective Credits: 3
- Elective Credits: 3
Capstone (choose one):