2014-2015 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Master of Education in Educational Leadership: Educational Leadership Emphasis
For additional information about opportunities your college offers, please refer to the College of Education section in this catalog.
M.Ed. Leadership website: www.gvsu.edu/grad/eduleadership
Mission - Teaching, leading, and learning in a democratic society.
Philosophy - Believing that schools function as social and political entities as well as for the growth of individuals, the College of Education prepares teachers and leaders a) to enhance the academic and personal potential of their students, and b) to evaluate the social and ethical implications of educational policies and practices.
Values - The College of Education values expertise to guide our practice, equity to guide our interactions, liberal education to guide our perspectives, and social responsibility to guide our commitment to democratic education. We value these ideals in our preparation of candidates, our development of faculty, and our relationships with the larger community we serve.
This performance oriented program emphasizes research, theory, and practice in such areas as: effective leadership and organization, strategies for planning and developing curriculum, supervising employees, school improvement, personnel administration, law, school and community relations, and related topics. Most courses are offered in the weekend leadership academy.
Nationally Recognized by Specialty Program Association: Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC) Michigan Department of Education
Minimum Number of Hours in Program: 33
DeVos Center, Pew Campus downtown Grand Rapids, MI
Requirements for M.Ed. in Educational Leadership
Each candidate for the M.Ed. degree in educational leadership must complete the following areas:
Social Foundations of Education (Choose one):
- EDF 671 - Educational Policy and Practice Credits: 3
- EDF 672 - Social/Cultural Foundations of Education Credits: 3
Research and Evaluation:
- EDF 660 - Educational Inquiry and Evaluation Credits: 3
Emphasis Area Courses:
- EDL 665 - Educational Leadership Credits: 3
- EDL 666 - Curriculum Leadership Credits: 3
- EDL 668 - Personnel Administration Credits: 3
- EDL 670 - School Law Credits: 3
- EDL 677 - School and Community Relationships Credits: 3
- EDL 667 - Elementary Supervision and Evaluation Credits: 3
- EDL 671 - Secondary Supervision and Evaluation Credits: 3
- EDL 685 - Practicum/Graduate Field Experience Credits: 3 to 6
Administrative Internship (Prerequisite: EDL 685)
- EDL 687 - Administrative Internship Credits: 3
Capstone (choose one):
- ED 693 - Master's Project Credits: 3
- ED 695 - Master's Thesis Credits: 3