2014-2015 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Elementary Teacher Certification (General Education)
- 2. Requirements for an Elementary Teaching Minor Elementary Certification
- 3. Requirements for the Education Major Program-Elementary Certification
Michigan Elementary Provisional Certification allows the holder to teach any subject in kindergarten through fifth grade; major and minor subjects in sixth through eighth; all subjects in kindergarten through eighth in self-contained classrooms. In addition to degree requirements, candidates must complete the teaching major, minor, and education major program.
1. Teaching Major Elementary Certification
In January 2008, the Michigan State Board of Education approved new Elementary Education standards. The new standards will ensure that teachers are prepared with depth and breadth of content knowledge. New students entering Grand Valley, pursuing an elementary provisional teaching certificate, will only be able to select from the following four state approved major programs:
- Integrated Science
- Group Social Studies
- Language Arts
In addition to selecting one of the listed teachable majors, education candidates must complete requirements for the elementary teaching minor and the education major program for elementary certification. Students should meet with their advisor before selecting courses for the elementary minor.
2. Requirements for an Elementary Teaching Minor Elementary Certification
Candidates must complete the following 31-credit program. At least one field semester must be done in a multicultural setting.
- MTH 221 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I Credits: 4 AND MTH 222 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II (3 credits)
- MTH 223 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers III Credits: 5
Elementary candidates must take each of the following courses, except the course listed in their chosen content major area:
c. Fine Arts:
d. Language Arts:
- SCI 225 - Integrated Life Science for K-8 Teachers Credits: 4
- SCI 226 - Integrated Physical Science for K-8 Teachers Credits: 3
f. Physical Education/Health:
- PED 265 - Teaching Health in Elementary Schools Credits: 2
- PED 266 - Move-Dance-Learn! PE and Dance for Elementary Ed Credits: 2
g. Social Studies:
3. Requirements for the Education Major Program-Elementary Certification
Candidates must complete the following 39-credit education major. At least one field semester must be done in a multicultural setting.
Flex Course 1 - This course is taken before OR after admission to the College of Education. It must be completed before Student Teaching.
Prior to admission to Undergraduate Teacher Education:
- EDF 315 - Diverse Perspectives on Education (3 credits)
- PSY 301 - Child Development (3 credits)
- EDI 337 - Introduction to Learning and Assessment (3 credits)
Flex Course 2 - This course is taken after admission to the College of Education. It must be completed before Student Teaching.
Teacher Assisting semester:
- EDF 310 - Organizing and Managing Classroom Environments Credits: 3
- EDR 320 - Reading: Assessment and Instruction Credits: 3
- EDI 330 - Teacher Assisting - Elementary Credits: 5
Student Teaching Semester:
- EDI 430 - Student Teaching, Elementary Credits: 10
- EDF 485 - The Context of Educational Issues Credits: 3
(may be taken after EDI 430 but before certification).