2014-2015 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Health Communication
Requirements for a Major in Health Communication
School of Communications Core Credits: 9
All students majoring in the School of Communications must complete the following core courses, for a total of nine credits:
Select one of two:
All students majoring in the School of Communications must take COM 495 (three credits) during their senior year. This Capstone course offers a synthesis of ideas and theories about one or more current critical issues in communication.
B.A. and B.S. Cognates
All undergraduate programs in the School of Communications offer both the B.A. degree and the B.S. degree. All students selecting majors in the School of Communications must choose either the B.A. cognate or the B.S. cognate that is intended for a particular undergraduate program.
The B.A. degree requires a third-semester proficiency in a foreign language of the students choice.
The B.S. Cognate for Health Communications is:
- COM 375 - Communication Research (3 credits)
- MKT 352 - Marketing Research (3 credits)
- STA 215 - Introductory Applied Statistics (3 credits)
Biomedical Sciences Core Credits: 19
A higher-level laboratory biology class (such as BIO 120) can be substituted for BIO 104. A higher-level laboratory chemistry class (such as CHM 115) can be substituted for CHM 109. See the School of Communications for an evaluation and further recommendations.
- BMS 202 - Anatomy and Physiology Credits: 4
- BMS 223 - Public Health Concepts Credits: 3
- CHM 109 - Introductory Chemistry Credits: 4
- AHS 340 - Health Care Management Credits: 3
- AHS 100 - Medical Terminology Credits: 3
- BIO 104 - Biology for the 21st Century Credits: 4
Health Communication Core Credits: 27
- CAP 210 - Fundamentals of Advertising Credits: 3
- CAP 220 - Fundamentals of Public Relations Credits: 3
- CAP 321 - Media Relations Writing Credits: 3
- CJR 256 - News Reporting I Credits: 3
- CJR 390 - Technical Writing Credits: 3
- COM 209 - Health Communication Systems Credits: 3
- COM 410 - Senior Seminar in Health Communication Credits: 3
- COM 490 - Internship Credits: 1 to 6
- MKT 350 - Marketing Management Credits: 3
(select two of four courses for 6 to 8 credits)
- CFV 125 - Media Production I Credits: 3
- CFV 226 - Media Production II Credits: 3
- CPH 171 - Photography I Credits: 4
- CPH 172 - Photography II Credits: 3
Note: You may consult with your faculty advisor for other possible elective courses.
Capstone Credits: 3
- COM 495 - Issues in Communication (Capstone) Credits: 3