2012-2013 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
School Social Work Certification
The School of Social Work at Grand Valley is authorized by the State Board of Education in Michigan to provide training and make recommendations concerning practitioner certification for school social work as provided in the Administrative Rules for School Social Work (Rule 340.1013) of the Michigan Department of Education.
Requirements for the Certification
All students seeking certification for school social work are required to take the following course, in addition to the 60 credit hours required for the M.S.W. degree.
- SW 664 - Social Work Practice in Schools Credits: 4
Students must consult with the school social work advisor. In addition to taking required courses, the student seeking certification must follow the curriculum below:
- SW 612 - Social Policy: Families and Children (3 credits)
- SW 662 - Substance Abuse and Social Work Practice (3 credits)
- SW 670 - Social Work Practice: Individuals (3 credits)
- SW 672 - Social Work Practice: Groups (3 credits)
- SW 674 - Social Work Practice: Families and Children (3 credits)
- SW 660 - Grant Writing and Resource Development (3 credits)
- SW 678 - Human Services Administration (3 credits)