LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Give thoughtful consideration to your academic and career goals.
- Prepare a written list of questions before each meeting with your advisor.
- Initiate contact with a faculty advisor and/or an Advising Center.
- Actively participate in the advising session.
- Ask questions! If you do not understand a policy or procedure, ask questions until you do understand.
- Know the Academic Calendar. Do not miss deadlines. Know when to register and drop or add courses.
- Schedule courses that are consistent with your educational goals and that will meet degree requirements.
- Accept responsibility for making final decisions on academic choices. Academic advisors will present you with options.
- Development of suitable educational plans
- Clarification of career and life goals
- Selection of appropriate courses and other educational experiences
- Interpretation of institutional requirements
- Enhancement of student awareness about educational resources available (e.g., internship, study abroad, Honors and learning assistance programs)
- Evaluation of student progress toward established goals
- Development of decision-making skills
- Reinforcement of self-direction
- Referral to and use of institutional and community support services
- On-going evaluation of advising services
- To be responsible for communicating consistent information to all students about the advising process.
- To provide a community of academic advisors for all students.
- To assist students in the development of suitable educational plans and goals.
- To monitor and provide accessible guidance on each student's academic progress.
- To provide referrals to university services when appropriate.
- To be accountable for providing required, continuous, and accurate training for all academic advisors.
- To provide sufficient and on-going resources and support for advising services across the university.
- To recognize the importance of excellent and accurate faculty academic advising through the tenure and evaluation process.
- To conduct continuous assessment and improvement in academic advising.