We know finances are one of your biggest concerns as you are returning to college, here are a few resources to get you started thinking about how to pay for your degree

Financial Aid

Financial aid includes funds in the form of grants, scholarships, work study or loans that are made available to students and their families. These funds are designed to assist students and their families with college costs.

The Financial Aid Office provides a variety of services for all GVSU students. Their website provides many resources, and counselors are available by phone, online chat, and walk-in appointments. 

This video provides a step-by-step guide to filling out the FAFSA

Grand Valley has scholarships available specifically for adult and nontraditional students.  While you're at this site, consider changing the search filters and see what other scholarships you may be eligible for. Consider using words like "nontraditional", "adult", and "transfer".  Here are some popular ones you may want to look at:


Grand Forum Scholarship for continuing education

Judy and Allen Whipps LEADS Integrative Studies Scholarship

Margaret "Peggy" Boyce Nontraditional Student Scholarship

Thomas A. & Cheryl L. Butcher Non-traditional Student Scholarships

Center for Women and Gender Equity Nontraditional Scholarship


Company Deferment Plan

Many companies offer tuition assistance. Talk with your employer to see if you qualify for any educational benefits. GVSU offers a special financing program for students who qualify for their employer's tuition reimbursement program that allows the amount of tuition and fees paid for by the employer to be deferred until the end of the semester. More information, including the application and requirements, can be found on our student accounts website.  

Tax Credit Information


Additional Tax Credit information:


U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid information

Page last modified February 21, 2024