Scheduling a Transfer Orientation Appointment
Once you have been admitted and invited to orientation, make a reservation as soon as possible. You need an orientation in order to register for classes. (If you plan to start during a semester other than the one you applied and were accepted for, all you need to do is call Admissions locally at (616) 331-2025 or (800) 748-0246 to change your entry date before signing up for orientation.)
ART MAJORS are advised to call (616) 331-3486 to schedule a Portfolio Review before attending orientation
- Your G number (student ID #) is on your letter of acceptance
- Visit Majors and Programs for help determining the correct name of your major, minor or major emphasis
If you are undecided about a major, use the following resources:
- What Can I do with this Major? Click on Students and What Can I do with this Major?
- Call Grand Valley and ask for the major department directly
- Call 616-331-3588 and ask for a "Transfer Pre-major" appointment before orientation; either a phone or in-person appointment
- Make sure you completed a MACRAO/MTA AUDIT from your community college
- Click this link for basic MACRAO/MTA information
- Completed any courses since you applied?
- Order an updated official transcript
- We need to know about those courses when you make your reservation.
- This helps prevent duplicate course, and reduces your time at orientation
- $50.00 Orientation fee (credit card for online and check if using postal mail).
If you wish to change your starting semester (admit date), please call Admissions locally at (616)-331-2025 or (800) 748-0246 before signing up for orientation.
- Transfer Equivalency Worksheet mailed to you from Grand Valley
- A copy of your most recent unofficial transcript
- Courses graded after you applied and were accepted, will not show up on your Grand Valley transcript, so it is important that you tell us about those and that you order an updated official transcript after additional courses are completed and graded
- This helps your advisor prepare an accurate registration plan and helps prevent you from registering for duplicate courses
- If any of these courses are pre-requisite to a Grand Valley course you need, your unofficial transcript will show proof that you are taking or completed the required pre-requisite
- Driver's license and graphing calculator if taking math placement exam