Product Design & Manufacturing Engineering, B.S.E.
Product design and manufacturing (PDM) engineers design and build systems to tackle problems big and small. They integrate new concepts and prototypes and devise methods and systems to develop desirable products, from design and planning to production and delivery, for a globally competitive marketplace.
Students are prepared for engineering careers and leadership roles through B.S.E. and M.S.E programs that integrate academic studies with hands-on learning and paid professional experiences in actual engineering companies.
PDM offers four emphasis areas:
- Robotics and controls
- Manufacturing systems
Why Study PDM at Grand Valley?
- Program accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, abet.org.
- Personal attention in small, student-focused classes.
- Extensive hands-on and project-based learning.
- State-of-the-art teaching facilities and laboratory equipment.
- Study/work abroad opportunities.
- Three semesters of paid cooperative-education work experience prior to graduation in recognized domestic and international engineering companies.
- Industry sponsored capstone design projects.
- Strong support from our industrial partners who fund many engineering scholarships for graduate and undergraduate students.
- A nearly 100-percent placement rate into work or graduate school for our graduates.
- A combined bachelor's/masters program that allows high-achieving students to complete both the B.S.E. and the M.S.E. in as little as five calendar years.
For More InformationSchool of Engineering
136 Kennedy Hall
Location & Format
- Advanced product design
- Mechanical and electrical engineering fundamentals
- Cooperative education
- Automation and controls
- Manufacturing processes
- Materials science and engineering
- Production models
The following are just a few career options for product design and manufacturing engineers:
- Design engineer
- Manufacturing engineer
- Product development engineer
- Production engineer
- Quality engineer
- Controls engineer
- Test engineer
“The PDM program at Grand Valley prepares you well for project based work that is always encountered in industry. I had three job offers five months before I graduated.”
PDM ENGINEERING ALUMNA