For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through April 25. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email email@example.com. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
Advertising and Public Relations, B.A., B.S.
A bachelors degree in advertising and public relations can lead to rewarding careers in corporate or agency settings doing meaningful work such as copywriting, public relations writing, media planning, research, and more.
Students choose between a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.). A minor is available. The advertising and public relations major stresses an integrated approach. Students may choose to emphasize advertising or public relations, but they take courses in both to prepare them for common practice in the field.
Why Study Advertising and Public Relations at Grand Valley?
- Faculty members have a combination of academic accomplishment and professional experience and represent a variety of backgrounds in the field. Full-time faculty are complemented by accomplished professionals from the area who teach as adjunct instructors.
- Students have opportunities to be involved with the Student Ad Club and the Grand Valley chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). Both are affiliated with local and national professional groups.
- Students get hands-on experience by having real clients in numerous classes, internships, special events, and through GrandPR (a student-run PR firm).
- The curriculum includes courses that match what is recommended by national panels of advertising and public relations educators and professionals.
For More InformationSchool of Communications
290 Lake Superior Hall, (616) 331-3668
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this major study at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.Format: Face To Face
Students study a variety of topics within the major, including:
- Public relations writing
- Ethics and law
- Media planning
- Advertising and public relations technology
Graduates from the integrated advertising and public relations major have a wide variety of opportunities for employment in different fields. They have had success working locally and nationally within:
- Advertising and public relations agencies
- Educational institutions
- Government agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
- Sports teams
- Travel industry