The Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance encourages collaboration across disciplines and provides opportunities to explore areas in dance technique, history, theory, technology, choreography, pedagogy, anatomy and physiology, and production.
The B.A. offers students extensive training to develop and refine techniques in various idioms of dance. A minor is also available. Students develop abilities through a range of courses combining practical and theoretical skills emphasizing critical thought and independence. Participation in the dance program is by audition only. Audition information and application at gvsu.edu/dance/.
Why Study Dance at Grand Valley?
- The program offers students many opportunities to perform. In addition to classes, workshops, informal showings, and student choreography concerts, dance students have the opportunity to perform with the GVSU Dance Company.
- Our students work with world-renowned faculty and guest artists.
- The program is designed for students who demonstrate exceptional training for college-level dance.
- We offer a variety of technique courses in modern, ballet, pointe, jazz, partnering, and improvisation.
- Students also will focus their academic experience on dance history, technology, composition, improvisation, pedagogy, and theoretical perspectives to ensure their success as educated members of the dance community.
For More InformationDepartment of Music, Theatre, and Dance
1300 Thomas J. and Marcia J. Haas Center for Performing Arts
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this major study at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.Format: Face To Face
- Ballet technique
- Costuming and production
- Dance history
- Improv & choreography
- Jazz technique
- Modern technique
- Arts managers and directors
- Company managers
- Dance historians
- Dance teachers
“The dance program at GVSU has allowed me to grow individually as a performing artist, choreographer, and student. The rigors of dance theory, technique classes and contact with students and faculty, offered me the opportunity to experience an amazing network of dance resources from guest artists, master classes, and attending ACDA. I would encourage all dancers to look at this program.”