How to Construct an SWS Course Syllabus
Before creating an SWS course syllabus, carefully review the Requirements for SWS Courses.
Each course syllabus for an SWS course must
- Include the required SWS paragraph.
- List and describe each of the major writing assignments.
- Provide the word count for each of the major writing assignments.
- Provide the course grade percentages for each of the major writing assignments.
- Include a paragraph (or two) which describes
- what opportunities will be provided for revision;
- the number of class hours which will be spent on writing instruction;
- detailed explanation of the types of writing instruction covered during those class hours;
- the type and frequency of feedback students will receive from the instructor and in peer review workshops.
- Include an objective related to written communication in the Course Objectives.
- Include a section in the syllabus regarding the GVSU Writing Center. See this syllabus blurb prepared by the writing center.