Skip to main content


The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides grants of up to $2,000 per semester to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. Student eligibility for the TEACH Grant will be based on academic standing, major, and course requirements.

Other TEACH Grant requirements include: Counseling & Service Agreement and TEACH Grant Certification.

For additional information visit Student Aid on the Web.

Teaching Obligation

TEACH Grant recipients must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a school that serves low-income students. Recipients must teach full-time for at least four years within eight years of completing their program.

Students must complete the Counseling & Service Agreement to receive the TEACH Grant.

High-Need Fields:

  • Bilingual education and English Language Acquisition
  • Foreign Language
  • Mathematics
  • Reading Specialist
  • Science
  • Special Education

Identifying Low-Income Schools:

To identify schools that are designated as low-income schools see the U.S. Department of Educations Annual Directory of Designated Low-Income Schools for Teacher Cancellation Benefits.

Documentation to the US Department of Education:

You will need to confirm within 120 days of completing or ceasing to enroll in your teacher preparation program that you are fulfilling (or plan to fulfill) the terms and conditions of your service agreement. You must document your teaching service, and your documentation must be certified by the chief administrative officer at the school where you teach. If you are unable to meet these requirements, you may be able to suspend or defer your grant by contacting the US Department of Education.

TEACH Grant converts to an unsubsidized Direct Loan with interest calculated back to the date of disbursement if the full teaching obligation is not met. According to some estimates, only 20% of grant recipients will keep the funds as a grant while the other 80% will have the funds converted to a loan. Once it is converted to a loan, it can not be reconverted back to a grant.