LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Carl R. Ruetz III, Ph.D
Grand Valley State University
Annis Water Resources Institute
Research Interests & Approach:
I have a general interest in fisheries biology with emphasis on research questions related to population and community ecology. My research focuses on streams, lakes, and wetlands. In addition to fishes, benthic macroinvertebrates are often a focal study species. I enjoy both empirical and theoretical approaches to research, and I strive to include mathematical modeling in my research. I have a strong interest in experimental design and statistical analyses, which are critical for planning and executing empirical research.
My current research includes studies that evaluate the ecological condition of Great Lakes coastal wetlands, test protocols and designs for streamside egg incubators to support the re-introduction of Arctic grayling to Michigan, assess the long-term dynamics of fish populations in local lakes impacted by current and past anthropogenic activities, and examine the effects of habitat restoration on aquatic biota and water quality. Undergraduate and graduate students are an important component of my research program, and I pride myself in mentoring students.
- Teach BIO 362 Fisheries Biology (Fall) [Syllabus]
- Teach NRM 552 Fisheries Management (Winter odd years) [Syllabus]
- Fisheries ecology & management
- Experimental design & statistics
- Population & community ecology
- Stream ecology: invertebrate drift, leaf breakdown, and predator-prey interactions between fish and benthic macroinvertebrates
Honors & Awards:
- Distinguished Graduate Mentoring Award, Center for Scholarly and Creative Excellence, Grand Valley State University, 2013
- President, Michigan Chapter of the American Fisheries Society, 2008
- Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award, Graduate and Professional Student Organization, Grand Valley State University, Fall 2007
- Curriculum Vitae
- Ph.D., Fisheries, 2001 - University of Minnesota
- M.S., Forest Resources, 1997 - University of Georgia
- B.S., Biology, 1994 - Lake Superior State University
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow - Florida International University