Wetlands Ecosystem Service Values: Recreation
Land Use: Wetlands
Ecosystem Service: Recreation
Regional Value Estimate: $13-$76 per acre per year
Confidence Level (in estimated value): Low
How was value determined:
- The range of values for regional wetlands recreation was transferred from three peer-reviewed studies of wetlands recreational values in Louisiana, Canada along Lake Erie, and Saginaw Bay, Michigan (Farber and Costanza 1987; Kreutswizer 1981; Whitehead et al 2006).
- The data from these studies were combined and adjusted to the West Michigan policy region.
Value estimate limitations:
- Values represent overall inland wetland recreation activities (e.g.; sport fishing/hunting, wildlife viewing, hiking). We did not include other related recreational activities, such as beach-going, swimming, boating, and camping.
- We assumed that there was no user fee to access inland wetlands.
- Some wetlands may represent a high value for wildlife viewing, especially those that provide a unique habitat for local species.
Allegan Barry Ionia Kent Muskegon Newaygo Ottawa
Estimated Wetlands Recreation Values
Value was not determined for this land use ecosystem service at the county-level because there were insufficient data to do so.