How To Apply
Request for Proposal
The Michigan Departments of Education (MDE), Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE), and Labor and Economic Opportunity (LEO), and the MiSTEM Network [hereafter referred to as “the State Agencies”] have collaboratively developed From Students to Stewards (FS2S), a funding program that in 2020 will issue up to five awards (of up to $10,000 each) to local education agencies (LEAs), intermediate school districts (ISDs), public school academies (PSAs), or partnerships/consortia that propose to integrate place-based education and water literacy principles into their school curricula and school improvement plans.
From Students to Stewards has three primary goals:
- to close the water literacy gap and grow the next generation of water stewards, leaders, and decision-makers needed to solve complex water issues in a changing world;
- to investigate freshwater-focused, place-based education as an effective way to address whole-child needs and enhance school performance, and to examine the process of connecting this type of teaching and learning to school‑improvement plans; and
- to prepare Michigan's students for high quality; water-focused STEM careers.
This grant program is intended for LEAs, ISDs, PSAs, or partnerships/consortia that have already begun to successfully integrate place-based, freshwater-focused programming into their curricula. The State Agencies will collaborate with successful applicants to a) understand how these early implementers came to adopt place-based, water-focused programming; b) learn how this programming has measurably impacted students, teachers, schools, and communities; c) learn how this programming can be effectively and meaningfully included in school improvement plans; and d) develop materials to help other entities emulate these grantees’ successes.
Request for Proposal includes:
- Requirements & Terms of the Grant Program
- Additional Information for Applicants
- Contents of Your Application Package
- Evaluation Criteria
- Program Contact
***Please note that indirect cost are not available for this grant.***
How to Submit Application
The application deadline was on March 9th, 2020. Please contact Natalie Lowell, MiSTEM Project Director, at email@example.com if you have any questions.