Professional Development for Graduate Students
Graduate school is an important balance of gaining an academic skill set and networking within your field. PACES can help you succeed in both. The PACES program offers professional development opportunities for students, and helps students increase their professionalism, academic advancement, communication, engagement and success. By participating in PACES, students will be supported in developing communications, interview, stress management and debt management skills – among other critical and timely topics.
PACES workshops are voluntary and relevant to all graduate students, regardless of field of study or current employment status. Registration for workshops is free for current graduate students.
Upcoming Professional Development Sessions
Almost all sessions will be held virtually. Please continue to check back as the schedule will continue to grow.
September 28, 2023 4:00-4:45 p.m. - Meditation Session
- Registration Link: http://www.gvsu.edu/gs/cms-form-edit.htm?formId=8C25CA40-B04E-4890-1E2E179AF0D4C8D9
October 6, 2023 1:00-1:45 p.m. - Career Fair Prep Session
- Registration Link: https://www.gvsu.edu/paces/cms-form-edit.htm?formId=6D38B0A6-F67E-E6E2-82DD718DF6D50350
October 27, 2023 12-12:45 p.m. - Navigating the interview and onboarding process as a non-binary or trans candidate
- Registration Link: https://www.gvsu.edu/paces/cms-form-edit.htm?formId=6DF1B624-EFB2-A2BF-85BDEDE1BCE6E444
November 3, 2023 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - Etiquette Lunch (in person with a $5 fee)
- Registration Link: https://www.gvsu.edu/paces/cms-form-edit.htm?formId=0A63F8EE-F0A9-21C7-2BCD579384F84E56
November 28, 2023 4:00-4:45 p.m. - Meditation Session
- Registration Link: http://www.gvsu.edu/gs/cms-form-edit.htm?formId=8C2012BD-0B11-8F73-2EB23CEE87957EBF
February 12, 2024 4:00-4:45 p.m. - Meditation Session
- Registration Link: http://www.gvsu.edu/gs/cms-form-edit.htm?formId=8C2B4C17-E7A8-140B-C92C27FBBA376900
April 25, 2024 4:00-4:45 p.m. - Meditation Session
Previous Professional Development Sessions
- Interviewing Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Mentorship Panel
- Professional Image
What topics does PACES cover?
Professionalism - The professionalism section include resources concerning interviewing skills, career planning tools, salary/benefit information, and workplace attire.
Advancement - Find out more about continuing education, funding a higher degree, teaching after graduate school, and personal advancement.
Communication - The communication section contains resources regarding conflict management, employee communication, international relations, and public speaking.
Engagement - Learn about networking, cultural competency, mentoring, and social acceptance.
Success - The success section covers material about financial planning, stress management, time/organization, and maintaining relationships.