Budget and Reimbursement Information
Each Scholar and Faculty Mentor team is allocated a budget for their project. This budget is determined by the application process and varies depending on the needs of the research or creative project. Scholars and their mentors are responsible for monitoring this budget and initiating any reimbursements. Project funds are distributed through departmental transfers or Travel and Expense reimbursement. We process reimbursements and department transfer requests. We do not order supplies, make travel arrangements, etc.
Any and all project expenses should be paid for by the faculty mentor's department whenever possible. GVSU's CONCUR system should allow faculty to make purchases via department P-Cards, etc., so that neither the mentor nor the scholar need to have out-of-pocket expenses. We will then reimburse the faculty mentor's department from the project's budget.
Please note: all requests for reimbursements or other budget activity MUST be completed by the last business day in September. Requests will not be granted beyond this date.
Department Transfer Request Process
Your project may require that a lab order supplies, your department purchase equipment, the faculty mentor have out-of-pocket expenses reimbursed, etc. The awarded faculty's department must request a fund transfer through OnBase to OURS. Undergraduate Research & Scholarship is listed among the departments in OnBase. Have your department coordinator attach copies of processed receipts (i.e. invoices, department purchases, etc.) to the OnBase fund transfer request. Per GVSU policy, any services performed (editing, page publication, transcription, etc.) MUST be paid directly by a GVSU department via an invoice or purchased using your department p-card. Purchase of services using personal credit cards will not be reimbursed.
Travel and Expense Reimbursement Process
Any and all project expenses should be paid for by the faculty mentor's department whenever possible. GVSU's CONCUR system should allow faculty to make purchases via department P-Cards, etc., so that neither the mentor nor the scholar need to have out-of-pocket expenses. We will then reimburse the faculty mentor's department from the project's budget. However, if you believe STUDENT out-of-pocket expenses are unavoidable, then please contact us about possible alternatives.
PLEASE NOTE: In order to comply with GVSU's new reimbursement system procedures, OURS will only process reimbursements for out-of-pocket expenses from STUDENTS. Any out-of-pocket expenses from faculty mentors should first be reimbursed by your department, then we will reimburse the department as per the department transfer procedure.
Travel and Expense Information
Things to Know Before Travelling:
- ALL expense receipts must be in your name.
- Contact us IMMEDIATELY if someone else is paying any portion of your travel expenses. We cannot pay you to pay back someone else.
- Split lodging costs between roommates so your receipt is in your name.
- Keep all of your receipts.
- EXCEPT gas for your personal vehicle and meals. You may receive mileage for personal vehicle and per diem for meals. Gas receipts are required for rental vehicles.
- Receipts must clearly show your name, the amount of the charge, and the method of payment in order to be considered a receipt.
- Please note that check processing can take anywhere from 7 to 10 business days. Consider using direct deposit for Travel and Expense reimbursements. It is separate from the payroll direct deposit and requires completion of a separate form. (You will need to log in to the secure access page [with your network ID & password] for this form.)
- Travel Direct Deposit forms must be on file at least two weeks prior to your travel in order to receive direct deposit.
Travel T&E Instructional Video
Please watch this video about the travel T&E form if you are not aware of the process. It will tell you how to fill out the Travel T&E Form.
Scholars: if you are traveling to present your OURS program research, then please submit your request for travel funds in through the online form. Please include:
1. The type of presentation (poster or oral)
2. The conference title, dates, and location
3. Your presentation information in APA format (authors, presentation year & month, title)
4. The presentation abstract
Travel funds for dissemination are processed by reimbursement using the same procedures and travel form discussed above. These funds are available to you for two years or your graduation from GVSU, whichever comes first.
Please note: if you are presenting your research on a poster, please be sure to review "Printing a Poster" on the GVSU Summer Scholars Showcase Abstract Submision page as the same procedure applies. (You do not need to use your dissemination funds for the GVSU Summer Scholars Showcase and Student Scholars Day. OURS will cover the $25 cost of printing your poster for Showcase and SSD.)
OURS also offers the use of poster tubes for seven days to assist in transporting your poster. They can be checked out in 230 LIB.
If you have any questions, contact Shelley Sickrey via telephone ((616) 331-8100) or e-mail ([email protected]).