Budget and Reimbursement Information

Budget Information

Each Scholar and Faculty Mentor team is allocated a budget for their project. This budget is determined by the application process and varies depending on the needs of the research or creative project. Scholars and their mentors are responsible for monitoring this budget and initiating any reimbursements. Project funds are distributed through departmental transfers or Travel and Expense reimbursement. We process reimbursements and department transfer requests. We do not order supplies, make travel arrangements, etc.

Department Transfer Request Process

Your project may require that a lab order supplies, your department purchase equipment, etc. The awarded faculty's department must request a fund transfer through OnBase to OURS. Undergraduate Research & Scholarship is listed among the departments in OnBase. Have your department coordinator attach copies of processed receipts (i.e. invoices, department purchases, etc.) to the OnBase fund transfer request.

Travel and Expense Reimbursement Process

All out-of-pocket reimbursements need to be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship on a Travel and Expense Form found on the GVSU Travel & Expense Reimbursement web page. Use the FIRST "Excel file to fill out and print" listed on the page for travel, and use the THIRD "Excel file to fill out and print" for supplies. THESE FORMS MUST BE TYPED AND INCLUDE ORIGINAL CLAIMANT SIGNATURE.

All University guidelines and procedures apply. The procedure described below applies for reimbursement of project supplies and travel for project research, as well as travel for project presentations. Contact our office BEFORE you travel so that we can give you all of the resources you will need in order to have your travel expenses reimbursed. All reimbursements are processed through the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship (OURS). Per GVSU policy, any services performed (editing, page publication, transcription, etc.) MUST be paid directly by a GVSU department via an invoice or purchased using your department p-card. Purchase of services using personal credit cards will not be reimbursed. Submit your Travel & Expense vouchers (for supplies/materials), receipts, invoices, PO's etc. to OURS, 230 LIB.

Please note: all requests for reimbursements or other budget activity MUST be completed by the last business day in September. Requests will not be granted beyond this date.

Travel and Expense Instructions and Examples

More instructions on how to complete the Travel and Expense forms can be found on the example forms below:
Travel T&E Example
Supplies T&E Example

Follow the process noted below:

1. Make your purchase for supplies for your research. Be sure to save original receipts.
2. SAVE YOUR RECEIPT – keep it in good condition so it is easily copied and scanned.

  • As part of the reimbursement process it is required that receipts smaller than half a sheet of paper (8 ½ X 5 ½) be taped to an 8 ½ x 11 piece of paper.
  • No staples are allowed.
  • You may put as many receipts on the paper as you can without overlapping any of the information or edges of the 8 ½ x 11. You may use both sides of the paper and you may use more than one sheet if necessary. Make sure that all information is readable and not covered by the tape.
  • Please do not use highlighters to identify your reimbursable expense, instead circle the appropriate items (Highlighters and tape may degrade the ink before the document can be scanned into the University's imaging system for record keeping.)

3. TYPE out the reimbursement form (FULLY). Be detailed.
4. Sign the form as a claimant.
5. Send receipt(s) and form to Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship, 230 LIB.
6. Record your expenditures in your budget tracking sheet.
7. Please note that check processing can take anywhere from 7 to 10 business days. Consider using direct deposit for Travel and Expense reimbursements. It is separate from the payroll direct deposit and requires completion of a separate form. (You will need to log in to the secure access page [with your network ID & password] for this form.)

  • Travel Direct Deposit forms must be on file at least two weeks prior to your travel in order to receive direct deposit.

Travel T&E Instructional Video

Please watch this video about the travel T&E form if you are not aware of the process. It will tell you how to fill out the Travel T&E Form.

Dissemination Funds

Scholars: if you are traveling to present your OURS program research, then please submit your request for travel funds in through the online form. Please include:

1. The type of presentation (poster or oral)
2. The conference title, dates, and location
3. Your presentation information in APA format (authors, presentation year & month, title)
4. The presentation abstract

Travel funds for dissemination are processed by reimbursement using the same procedures and travel form discussed above. These funds are available to you for two years or your graduation from GVSU, whichever comes first.

Please note: if you are presenting your research on a poster, please be sure to review "Printing a Poster" on the GVSU Summer Scholars Showcase page as the same procedure applies.

OURS also offers the use of poster tubes for seven days to assist in transporting your poster. They can be checked out in 230 LIB.

If you have any questions, contact Shelley Sickrey via telephone ((616) 331-8100) or e-mail (ours@gvsu.edu).