K-12 Connect Virtual Tutoring
GVSU K-12 Connect Virtual Tutoring is available for any student in grades K-12 beginning. This program is a free, virtual 1:1 tutoring/homework support service in which students can harness additional learning support through connecting with university students, faculty, or staff with expertise in various subjects through Zoom. Whether you are looking for a one-time appointment or recurring, weekly sessions, the tutoring center can accommodate any student's tutoring needs.
Students must bring homework or content to work on to every tutoring session.
Currently, K-12 Connect offers tutoring in the following subject areas and grade levels:
- Language: Spanish (K-12), Mandarin Chinese (K-12), German (6-12)
- Math (K-12)
- English Language Arts (K-12)
- Science (K-12)
- Social Studies (K-12)
- NEW: Targeted Literacy Project (1-4)
- The Targeted Literacy Project (TLP) is a pilot program aimed at supporting students in grades 1-4 who are a year or more behind in reading. There are limited slots available for this program. To participate, sign up for a consultation where your student will be assessed to verify eligibility. If eligible, your student will be required to meet four times each week for 30 minutes with a TLP tutor. A parent or guardian must be present at the initial consultation.
- If there are no available slots for the program, you may complete THIS FORM to be placed on a waiting list for future available slots.
Follow These Steps to Find a Tutor
Step 2: Search and Sign Up
Now that you've completed a consent form, you can start the process of setting up for your tutoring session by searching for an available tutor.
Instructions to find your tutor:
- Click "Select an Option" to choose your subject and grade level.
- Click "Show Filter Options" to narrow your search based on availability.
- Next, sign up for an appointment.
Remember, you are only signing up for your first initial session with your tutor. At the end of your session, if you'd like recurring sessions set up, work with your tutor to determine best day/time/length/and duration of sessions moving forward. Your tutor will set them all up for you.
Specific instructions on how to sign up and create an account profile are provided below:
Step 3: Join and Learn
Join your first virtual tutoring session through the Zoom link provided in your confirmation email. Be sure to have homework or content for you tutor to assist with. Students will begin in a waiting room until the receptionist is available to check them in and move them into their tutoring room.
Get to you know your tutor and share items you need support in. At the end of your time, decide if this will be a recurring session. If so, agree on a recurring day, time, length, and duration before leaving your session. Your tutor will set up future appointments.
Step 4: Feedback
Complete the short survey that will be linked in a follow-up email. This will help K-12 Connect to continually improve the virtual tutoring service.
If you have any questions or concerns, contact email@example.com.
You are welcome to speak with a K-12 Connect Specialist by connecting to the K-12 Connect Zoom site and asking to join the support room. A support person is available Monday-Friday from 9am-7pm, and on Saturdays from 11am-5pm.
To connect to Zoom, click the button below and refer to the login information:
Zoom Meeting ID: 616 331 5000